Mumbai Eye Infection Conjunctivitis: Within the last few days, Mumbai has witnessed some of the most severe cases of conjunctivitis. The cases have surged by almost threefold in the city. There have been public and private hospitals that are witnessing more than 20 cases of Conjunctivitis every day. This number is way too far from the average footfall. The doctors have to say that this is happening because of the change in weather as the weather provides the microbes with a suitable environment to thrive.
What is Eye Conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis, also called Pink Eye, is an eye inflammation that can spread very easily from one person to another. This inflammation caused by viral or bacterial infection is extremely contagious. Common types of bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus, Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumonia, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa are the ones that lead to bacterial conjunctivitis. Doctors have said that even chemical products such as cosmetic products, shampoo, contact lenses, pool chlorine, etc. can also cause conjunctivitis.
|Infected Part||Human Eyes|
Symptoms of Conjunctivitis (Mumbai Spread)
- You might feel like your eyes are burning and it can be quite a painful experience.
- Your eyes will start itching and it will burn a lot. You can also notice the white of your eyes turning into red or pink.
- Your eyelids will start swelling gradually.
- Your eyes will become watery or can also start to become gluey.
- Your vision would not get affected because of this though.
- Your upper eyelids can also swell and look lumpy.
How to stop Conjunctivitis from spreading?
If you are suffering from conjunctivitis then you can help in controlling it and stop it from spreading by following a few simple steps.
- Do not touch or rub your eyes. Doing this can worsen your conjunctivitis and you will have to suffer even more.
- Keep your hands clean as much as you can. Wash it for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water. You also have to keep in mind that whenever you apply ointment or use eye drops, your hands must be cleaned and sanitized. You can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer to sanitize your hands too.
- If you see any discharge around your eyes, do clean it as much as you can. Before cleaning you have to keep in mind that your hands are washed or sanitized properly. You can clean this discharge with the help of a wet cloth or a cotton ball. After cleaning it, do not forget to wash or sanitize your hands. Also, throw the used cotton ball away and wash the used cloth with the help of detergent.
- Use two different eye drop bottles for both eyes because the contact of conjunctivitis from the bottle can spread it to your other eye as well.
- Wash all your towels, bedsheets, clothes and pillow covers in hot water with detergent as often as you can.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses as long as you don’t get approval from the doctor for wearing them.
- Clean your glasses and avoid them from being in contact with anybody.
- Clean your eye lenses and store it somewhere safely so that it doesn’t come in contact with anybody.
- Avoid sharing and using personal items of any other person such as towels, bedsheets, glasses, etc.
- Stop going to the swimming pools for the time being.
How to keep yourself Safe Around People having Conjunctivitis?
- If you are around somebody who is suffering from conjunctivitis, you have to take care of a few things in order to save yourself from the same.
- Wash your hands with the help of warm water and soap as much as you can. Doing this can help you avoid any bacteria you might have come in contact with.
- Wash or sanitize your hands after coming in contact with the infected person.
- Avoid using the same things as the infected person as the bacteria in those things can make their way to you.
- Do not touch your eyes without washing or sanitizing your hands.
- Avoid using personal stuff of an infected person such as makeup brushes, towels, bedsheets, etc. because this can be the one way you can get infected very easily.
How to stop the Spread of Conjunctivitis?
Viral conjunctivitis basically occurs when you have been in contact with somebody who has the flu or you yourself have the flu. This infection is really contagious and is able to spread easily. To avoid this viral infection from spreading, you should wear sunglasses whenever you go out and also avoid making eye contact with people around you. Also to stop this from spreading you must sanitize your hands and stop sharing personal things with other people.
You should daily put on eye drops and wash your hands with warm water and soap immediately after doing so. You can also use hand sanitizer that contains up to 60% of alcohol, to sanitize your hands. As conjunctivitis is extremely contagious, you should avoid making direct contact with people like shaking hands as this infection spreads via secretion. You also should avoid rubbing or touching your eyes as it can cause you more burning and pain.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
No. You have to consult your eye doctor first before doing that.
Yes. Just keep in mind to use a sanitizer that contains at least 60% of alcohol.
Yes, you can. Just do not forget to cover your eyes with shades. Also, being at home would be much more beneficial for you and would help you cure faster.
Yes. But before touching your eyes just make sure that your hands are cleaned and sanitized properly.
You can do that. But make sure that the eye drops are prescribed by the doctor.
Stay Alert | Stay Safe |Stop the Spread